We have been utilizing technology so much nowadays in every single area of our lives, be it education or the other household work, that we have to take out a moment to think about whether it’s leaving a positive effect on our work or it’s quite recently that we have been depending excessively on it that we’ve turned out to be periodic to it, overlooking the bearing of its effect?
Earlier, technology in education was a debatable topic among the society. Everyone had their own view points on modernizing education and making it technologically supportive. There were a huge number of positives and negatives to education technology. As the technology was adopted by the educational institutes, they realized the importance of technology in education. Its positives outnumbered the negatives. Now with technology, education has taken a whole new meaning that it leaves us with no doubt that our educational system has been transforming to an ever-advancing technology. Technology and education are a great combination if used together with a right reason and vision.
As the fastest-growing economy in the world, India has a grand desire to achieve success.. However, the consistent supply of educated workers required to sustain the growth of the country’s largely knowledge-based economy may not be possible if its education system does not improve. By 2020, India is expected to have a literacy rate of 75%. This would be close to the global average of 81%, but this would mean null without real education. Although many young children in the country are now enrolled in primary schools, studies have suggested that many of them do not possess even the basic literacy skills. The failure of India’s primary education system thus reflects a deep crisis that can hamper the prospects of millions of young people.
With technology, educators, students and parents have a variety of learning tools at their fingertips. Here are some of the ways in which technology improves education over time:-
- Teachers can collaborate to share their ideas and planning online: – They can communicate with students and management across the platform in an instant; prepare and send the particular session plan on the platform with the help of which students can prepare themselves for the particular session, refine it and provide their students with the best. This approach definitely enhances the practice of teaching.
- Students can develop valuable research skills at a young age: Technology gives students immediate access to an abundance of quality information which leads to learning at much quicker rates than before. For Example, teacher can upload notes and important documents related to particular topic on the common platform, by the help of which student can access and understand the concepts, which can help them to add an extra point to their knowledge.
- Online learning is now an equally credible option: Person-to-Person interaction is more, especially in the younger years, but some students work better when they can go at their own pace. Online education is now accredited and has changed the way we view education.
Need for Mobile Applications in Educational Institutes
Although education leads to technology improvement, but the implementation of technology for improvement of education delivery has been in a sorry state till now. Most of the educational institutes are still using age-old methods, even in this digital age. Educational institutions need to adopt mobile app solutions not just to look smart but to actually act smart. Mobile apps lead to better, cheaper and faster communication and transaction enablement. Mobile apps enable customized and personalized learning, content delivery, assessment and feedback, improving quality of learning, etc.
Key features that educational institutions must look for in a mobile application
- Bi-directional messaging between educators and students/parents.
- Ability to share homework, circulars and exam schedules.
- Attendance notification of student’s absence.
- Ability to create events’ and holidays’ calendar.
- Gallery for sharing images and videos.
- Fees payment via multiple online channels.
The use of educational applications have more effect on learning. Pre and post-tests reveal that the use of apps on mobile devices reduces the achievement gap between struggling and average students. Some educational apps improve group work by allowing students to receive feedback on answers and promoting collaboration in solving problems, examples of these apps can be found in the third paragraph. The benefits of app-aid learning have been exhibited in all age groups. \Mobile devices and apps have also been shown to assist in the education of disabled students, with one study reporting increased engagement and accelerated comprehension and learning.
Recent e-learning studies modulated that the use of e-learning systems in university contexts increases productivity and allows learners to accomplish their tasks in more effective ways as in more than 66% of the variation of the perceived individual performance and 60% of the perceived organizational performance, due to the e-learning systems use, learners’ satisfaction, and to individualism or collectivism.